It is the simple things that people ignore that end up causing dire consequences. Spare some few minutes with me and you will be fascinated by how you trivialize the very things that matters in your well being.
- Handshakes. Oh! Yes. I know it sounds crazy. What is even nuttier is what those manicured, and the supposedly clean hands handle without being washed. Am not implying that we should do away with a handshake. However, you should embrace the habit of washing your hands before handling food, cooking and after visiting the toilet. A significant number of infections are transmitted via contact. That is why I highly recommend fist bump type of handshake.
- General biting of commodities. It is very common to find professionals gripping their tablets and car keys with their teeth. I know of a particular guy who not only bites his pen, but he goes to an extent of chewing and ingesting it. I want you to think critically dear sir. How many people do you think have handled that “palatable” pen of yours before you decide to land it in your mouth? It is high time you stop that unhealthy habit otherwise, your digestive system will always have malfunctions.
- Fingernail biting. It starts at childhood. Some people tend to carry it along in adulthood more so as a way of dealing with anxiety. Are you aware that regular biting of fingernails is equivalent to siphoning microbes (germs) into your body system? Fingernails have the capacity to harbor disease-causing microorganisms. I will advise you to identify another coping mechanism whenever you are anxious otherwise this habit might land you in a hospital bed.
- Sharing personal effects: It is high time we appreciate the fact that not everything is meant to be shared because it can lead to cross-transmission of pathogens. I understand that sometimes it ‘s hard to maintain exclusivity due to fear of breaking familial and neighborly relationships in an event you opt to stop them from communizing your personal commodities that may serve as a conduit for the transmission of diseases. The above factors should not deter you from explaining to them why you are not comfortable with portioning out your private belonging. It is better to endure a broken friendship than to live with a broken body system. These assets may include combs, bathing towels, and soaps.
- Tasting food. How often do you eat raw food in the name of sampling if it is tasty? Let me make you understand where you got worms from the other day. Some dishes like beef stew need thorough cooking before eating to get rid of all infective agents. I understand the urge of tasting is always compelling, and this calls for a lot of self control to overcome it. I have experienced patients who had to seek medical advice after sustaining blisters secondary to scald (burns) after indulging in a miscalculated venture of eating hot and uncooked food.
- Wearing dirty clothes. Ooh! I have done this before. Some people term it as clothing recycling. You wear a shirt today and two days down the line you are roaming with it again in the streets courtesy of your aromatic perfume which keeps the odor of your previous sweat at bay. Some people go to an extent of rehashing their dirty underwear which can lead to Urinary tract infections especially among women because of the way their anatomy has been structured. You are also likely to experience skin conditions such as acne of the back. Your psychological health will also be compromised bearing in mind that you have a dirty attire with you.